Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

In Love with Language

My fascination with words began when I was just a little girl. While other children played and had fun, I spent countless hours consorting with dictionaries and books, drawn inexplicably to the world of words, exploring new meanings, seeking understanding and gathering new tools for expression.

Over time, my relationship with words, slowly waned and faded, until 8 years ago when I connected with NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), which sparked an awakening that re – ignited my childhood love of language, then rapidly evolved into a deep and passionate love affair. Now, my heart and soul has been stolen away and taken prisoner by this obsession. NLP is the ever giving gift which brought me to coaching, underpins all the I-nspire Coaching Programmes™, is woven into the heart of training materials I design and has provided me with the raw material and tools to unleash my passion for writing. In an insatiable quest to imbibe as many delicious and descriptive words as possible and nourish my memory banks with linguistic delights, I find myself being called to dictionary surfing, word exploration (etymology), fridge poetry and devouring one fantastical novel after another. An expanded range of vocabulary enriches my inner world and elevates my capacity for colourful expression.

As I write, I love stringing unique sounds and different frequencies together in a sequence or flow that initially sparks my interest and, then grabs my attention. While scouring the libraries of consciousness, I search for the most accurate, descriptive and enticing words to order, organize and translate my thoughts, feelings and experiences into physical, tangible form. This process is the crafting of an invitation for others to get a brief glimpse into my world... without actually living my experience.

As I coach, I find myself tuning in more deeply and listening more closely and carefully to the specific words that people use when they start telling me their stories. As I do, I notice the energetic frequency of each and every word spoken and start hearing and understanding that how words are strung together and meanings are made either creates harmony or discord, symphony or noise in relationships and in lives.

Feeling stuck or uninspired lately?
Waiting for something amazing to happen?
What might this mean to you?

People describe who they are, recount their life stories and share how they make meaning of their experience with the words they choose to articulate and express themselves.

Limiting vocabulary and expression limits experience. Expanding the range, depths, flexibility, juiciness and frequency of your words and your silences, can make your experiences more interesting, interested, engaging or engaged.

But the real power of words lies in their ability to capture imaginations and take them on exciting and interesting journeys to places of inspiration, motivation, recognition, understanding and connection.

So, you would be wise to start paying attention to words if you would like to:

know yourself or others more deeply
lead yourself or others towards achieving specific outcomes
heal yourself from physical illness or emotional pain
expand yourself to build bridges for better relationships
express yourself in a way that motivates, uplifts and inspires
experience yourself fully for an enriched and fulfilling life

Think about these questions now...
• Do you make time to reflect on how you express yourself?
• How comfortable are you with your own silence?
• Which words lift you up and inspire you?
• Which words push your buttons and make you crazy?
• Which words would you use to tell me your story?
• Are you interested in hearing the stories of others?
• What happens when you start listening attentively?

Notice the sparks that fly when you take time and space to think....

Until we speak again...

Jacque A

















No comments:

Post a Comment